Make : Sump Motorcycles
Film : Once Films USA
Make : Grebbs Service Station
Film : Clickspark
My name is Evan Fleming. I live in Bangor, Northern Ireland. I design and create a range of quirky, bespoke jewellery from my garden shed.
What made you want to be a maker?
I have a passion for making things by hand. I grew up in a creative environment where experimenting with ideas was encouraged and fostered. From an early age, I had a burning ambition to create. My work is not an intellectual process - for me, the creation of the work is a spiritual exercise. This process of creation, from concept to completion, gives me a sense of pride and happiness.
Why should people support your business/products?
We live in a disposable, throwaway culture. I want to create items with meaning - objects that will acquire memories and personal significance like a patina. I enjoy working closely with clients, seeing their ideas translated into beautiful, decorative jewellery.
Favorite product that you make?
I recently made a large bangle out of square silver wire. Finished beautifully with sixty grit sandpaper.
List five of your favorite tools.
1. Crossing Needle File- I use this for everything. It’s shaped like a squashed oval. It’s very therapeutic to use.
2. Sixty Grit Sandpaper- This creates a beautiful texture, using the scratches to reflect the light.
3. Rawhide Mallet- A great tool for reshaping my work. I couldn’t work without one.
4. Bench Peg- I couldn’t live without it, each groove and mark has a purpose and a story.
5. Jam Jars- My bench would be a mess if it weren’t for empty Jam Jars and Glass pots.
(photographs from Ross McConaghy)
Make : Kevin Busta
Film : Richard Sibert
Make : Mark Vannieuwenhuyse
Film : Stan Maertens
Make : Annette Gabbedey
Film : David Hedges